Sunday, April 26, 2009

My Fight with vLingo

Cambridge-based Vlingo is trying to make voice enabling applications easier, by using their own speech-to-text J2ME/Brew application API (Windows/Symbian). Using the API, developers are be able translate a user’s voice to text, and use it in their application as if typed directly into the program. One of their first examples was for local search and shopping. Vlingo voice-enabled a text box on the program you could fill out by holding down the talk button and saying a phrase, like “Yoga in San Toronto”. The system then fills in the form with what you said, letting you modify the text normally if it gets it wrong.  I do not want to modify the text if it's wrong - I may as well spend my time texting...I'm a quick texter!!

I was super excited when I downloaded the App, especially since I won't be able to use my cell anymore while driving.  After a few test trials I realized that it was an absolute waste of my time.  Check out my video demonstration and you'll see what I mean.






No comments:

Post a Comment