Sunday, April 26, 2009

Cinderella Missed Out



I compare the purchase of my first pair of Christian Louboutin pumps to what emotion I think a man would have buying his first Ferrari F50; exhilarating.  

I walk proudly to the shoe department of Holt Renfrew, ignoring the haughty sales associates (who would rather help the Chanel-clad regulars).  There is no need for me to scour the department, I've obsessed over them for long enough.  "I'll try these in a size 9", I say cooly.  Little does she know I've already tried them at David's dozens of times.  As she disappears to fetch my magnificent shoes I reminisce about the many hours I worked, the money I saved just to have them accompany me to parties, to complete my shoe closet - better yet - complete my entire wardrobe.  She emerges from the back in what seems like hours and I quickly try them (adhering to my blase charade).  "Fine, I'll take them."  At the register she reads me the total monotonously (as if $760.00 is a normal price for a pair of shoes).  I surrender my debit card and just like that the shoes are mine.  Walking out of Holt's with my magenta bag I am euphoric.  On my way home a girlfriend calls to tell me the plans for that night.  An opportunity to wear my regal red-soled shoes?  An opportunity to be admired by all the men and envied by all the women?  I'm in!  Wait - I just spent my last penny on these shoes.  Guess i'll have to re-open my account at the Bank of Mom - at least for a little while.

Now these glitter, peep-toe stunners are likely worth every penny (if you're an LA girl hitting movie premieres or awards shows).  Unfortunately, I'm just suburban girl who sometimes joins the King West crowd - so not worthy of glitter Louboutin's.  While Cinderella wasn't an LA girl, she did go to a fabulous ball, not to mention marry royalty.  So,what was her fairy Godmother thinking sending her out in those glass slippers and where was Rachel Zoe when she was really needed?

Check out the latest Christian Louboutin collection here.

No comments:

Post a Comment