Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I'm My Own Personal Trainer - Thankyouverymuch

In my renewed vow to get fit, I decided to join one of those super flashy, super glamorous fitness clubs.  Upon joining I was offered a complimentary assessment and I obliged.  I sat for an hour with the trainer who seemed completely interested in my health and well-being; I was wrong.  It was clearly a ploy to lure me into taking up personal training sessions with him.  Now, personal training definitely has its benefits and I don't know anyone who has a personal trainer who looks less than fabulous.  However, I am a J-school grad searching for a job and I just cannot afford the extra $55/week.  He continued to badger me about the sessions exclaiming that the only way I would be able to attain my goal was to have him by my side.  That day I left the gym feeling less confident and petrified of the condescending weight area.

I read this article in The Huffington Post about how personal trainers aren't always as qualified and knowledgeable as they seem.  Some even try and use the same program on every client - yikes!

So, as a last resort, I turned to Women's Health Magazine.  Inside I found pages upon pages of workout tips - and guess what - no trainer necessary!  Good health and a good body are all I need as motivation.  Thanks, but no thanks Mr. Trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment